PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The role of the Help Desk Technician is to assist customers who are experiencing any procedural or operating difficulty with the use of IT applications, products or services. Complex and/or high priority problems are escalated to support groups for resolution when needed, but the Help Desk Technician is responsible to ensure that an effective solution is provided to the user. This is a seasonal position from October through the end of December.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Includes the following. Other responsibilities may be assigned.
- Effectively, professionally and respectfully represents other Information Technology staff members, teams, and their services to the client community.
- Provides support for all Information Technology products and services. Support may include answering questions, troubleshooting problems, teaching or instructing customers regarding software or hardware functionality and communicating policy.
- Determines the most effective manner to resolve customer’s technical issue. Engages in research and troubleshooting to resolve technical issues. Consults with full-time staff when necessary.
- Records required customer and problem information in RPI’s ticketing system. Updates tickets with appropriate entries of activities and closes tickets with resolution entered upon completion of the job.
- Elevates complex and/or high priority problems to the appropriate support groups for resolution.
- Verifies that suggested solutions effectively resolve the users’ problems through verbal or email follow up.
- Works on Help Desk related projects as assigned by supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience in hardware, software, network troubleshooting, basic operating system functionality or equivalent training and/or education is extremely beneficial. Customer service experience is preferred.
This position requires handling confidential information in an appropriate manner. Customer interactions must be handled with diplomacy and tact. Individual must be able to gauge the customer’s technical ability and communicate with them in appropriate technical or non-technical language in a non-condescending manner.
This position involves projects and/or assignments requiring considerable decision-making authority regarding procedures, plans, and schedules. Although there are sometimes problem-solving guidelines for particular problems, there may be no existing procedures or instructions for those problems. The technician may be on their own in solving problems and determining satisfactory solutions. Ability to work independently and in a team setting is imperative.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to learn and support new and quickly-changing technologies.
- Ability to research solutions or information regarding technical issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good work habits under pressure.
- Familiarity with a wide range of standard office automation products.
- High energy level.
- Detail oriented.
- Must have a good command of the English language in order to provide effective phone, desk-side, and email support.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Needs ability to use a keyboard to enter and retrieve data.
- Must have good eyesight to view computer monitor and phone.
- Lifting and/or carrying of 50 lbs.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may be asked to perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.Apply Now